Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Home Ergonomics

It says something about the utility of my new home and studio set-up that I can now move seamlessly between writing, painting and administration during my working day.
Instead of driving two hours – each way – to paint in enamel, I step into another room. The materials are arranged properly. I don't have to wander around trying to find what I need – or rely on others to find it for me. I can control the temperature (and drying times) in any weather and I've sealed the room so the fumes are contained. Although I can't work on several paintings at once, as I used to, I can work on them more frequently. I don't make the sort of mistakes my assistants used to, eliminating the need to re-do large sections.
I paint small watercolours leaning over my coffee table. Another table, made up of trestles and a sheet of white-painted timber, is set up for larger works on paper. The carpet is covered with a heavy canvas drop sheet. I can fling paint or ink around without care. When my assistant and I wrap packages for collectors, the table is covered with double layers of canvas so the surface is clean and dry.
I even write more easily. I don't have to sit cross-legged on a concrete floor, as I did at the 'enamel factory', but on a cushioned stool at my desk. A glass 'white board' for random jottings is bolted on the wall above it. Diaries, sketchbooks, reference books and idea workbooks are all within reach. I can also lie on the daybed, propped up by pillows.

I feel calmer and happier about my work than I have for several years. If good decisions tend to feel good, then my recent decision to do more of my work myself at home has been one of the best I've ever made.

9 comments:

Barbara J Carter said...

Sounds great! Thanks for the peek. I always love seeing other artists' workspaces.

Miranda said...

This sounds absolutely blissful! Nothing like the chaos that I work in (of my own making, of course). I like the sound of this back to basics, live/work arrangement. I often wonder what my studio and work space would be like if I was single!

JenXer said...

When I think about the best working arrangement for myself, I always used to think I'd have a studio space somewhere outside my home. However, the more work I do, the more I'm convinced it's better to have it closer to home- as art is a part of me, so should my workspace be a part of my home.

Wallflower said...

There are days when you read the right thing..... I am deciding whether to save for a proper studio set up, or do other more Evidently Responsible things. My heart says studio... and so do you, apparently. Aggggh.....

d.edlen said...

I've wondered about that with you and @eolai for awhile. I know for @johntunger he needs the studio outside, but for you guys. Anyway, I'm glad it's meant more calm and happiness. Indeed.

Peace,
@vinylart

Debra said...

My dream is to paint by the sea... I can see a bit of the ocean in one of your photos...Enjoy! Sounds like the right decision to me :)

Indigene said...

Anyway you can find peace and work happily without being toxic to yourself in my opinion is worth the time and energy to set it up! Ahhhh...it's nice to have control over one's environment, especially the one you live in! Happy creating!

Annie Paul said...

hi, glad you're in a productive space...happiness is important...

ccreed50 said...

I'm thinking 'timber panels must weigh a ton'...translated into Yanklish, would these be plywood panels? With wood cradling, still pretty unwieldy. Have you considered Dibond? http://www.alucobond.com.au/html/s01_home/home.asp

Best wishes,
--CR